Quarantine n’ chill?? Here’s a list of travel & international films to fuel your wanderlust while you wait things out at home.
1. City of God (This should be at the top of your list. It’s based in Brazil & it’s GOLD)
2. ‘Y Tu Mama Tambien’ (Heads up this is V x-rated but based in Mexico and A M A Z I N G)
3. ‘Queen’(Bollywood) – A film about solo travel so you KNOW I loved this. An Indian bride left at the altar who takes a solo backpacking trip.
4. ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ – Another heartwarming Bollywood film!
5. ‘Roma’ – A film paying homage to female laborers in Mexico City
6. ‘Palm Trees In The Snow’
7. ‘First, They Killed My Father’ – Heartbreaking but based on a true story and history of Cambodia
8. The Hundred-Foot Journey
9. ‘Mountain’ – For All Of The Trekkers Out There!
10. ‘Queen of Katwe’
11. ‘The African Doctor’
12. ‘Fundamentals of Caring’
13. ‘All The Bright Places’…get tissues! (viewer discretion advised)
14. ‘The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society’
15. ‘Period. End Of Sentence.’
16. ‘Magical Andes’
17. ‘Guatemala: Heart Of The Mayan World’
18. ‘Lorena’ – An indigenous Mexican Woman who ran the ultra marathon in sandals
19. Motorcycle Diaries(Can Be Found On Amazon Prime)
20. Our Planet – A series, but also as an honorable mention thanks to an international treasure: David Attenborough.
If you’re looking for binge-worthy travel shows, then check out: PLANET EARTH(non-negotiable), Street Foods(stunning cinematography), Sense8, Taco Chronicles, Stay Here, Extreme Engagement, Chefs Table, Tales By Light, Dark Tourist, Somebody Feed Phil, Chefs Table.
A few movies that are no longer on Netflix include The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, Under the Tuscan Sun, Tracks, Lion, Coco, & Eat Pray Love.
These movies will provide a mental escape if you’re feeling stir crazy as we all do a bit of social distancing. I intentionally included more international, social, and historical films rather than ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ type movies because #culture.
What are you watching on Netflix? What’s your favorite travel movie or show?